You'll find Alaska's summer temperatures pleasant. Daytime highs range from 60°F - 80°F. Nighttime lows are refreshingly cool, dipping into the 50-60's. May and September are 5°- 10° cooler. August is typically rainy so be prepared for some wet showers, the recent months have surprised locals with unusually warm days (85-90 degrees!). Remember the sun will not set until 10 pm!
Suggested Packing List:
Must - Haves:
- One refillable water bottle
- Day bag
- enough memory or phone storage for lots of picture taking!
- short-sleeved shirts
- A couple warm sweatshirt/fleece for boat rides and cooler evenings
- rain coat (water resistant!)
- long pants (comfortable for walking/light hikes)
- undergarments & socks
- bathing suit (Harbor 360 in Seward has a small hot tub & pool)
- comfortable walking shoes, preferably with grip for boat rides
Bath / Personal:
- Personal medication
- Prescription sea sickness pills or patch “sea bands” or Dramamine for the 2 boat rides we are taking.
- Glasses / contacts / contact solution
- Personal toiletries
- Bug spray (highly recommended!)
- Books and/or magazines
- Personal snacks that you may need or crave (such as granola bars or power bars).
- sleeping mask (for long sunlight hours!)
- If it's sunny, brimmed hat for the glacier and wildlife cruise. If it's windy, warm hat & gloves for boat rides. Either can happen!
Discover Corps Provides:
- Linens / blankets/bedding