Travel Documents & Cuban Visa

Cuba: Havana Weekend Getaway‎ > ‎

Travel Documents

Traveling to Cuba REQUIRES A VISA.

The Cuban government requires all citizens traveling to Cuba to obtain a Cuban visa prior to their arrival into Cuba. A Cuban visa is also known as a "tourist card.” and is valid for a single entry for 30 days in the country.

The Cuban visa is a two-part card. Cuban immigration officials will take one half upon arrival in Cuba, and travelers will surrender the other half upon departure. Make sure to keep your visa in a safe place with you throughout your trip so you have it with you when you depart the country.

Please note:

  • Your visa category is "Support for the Cuba People"

As relations between the U.S. and Cuba are developing as we speak, we highly recommend going through a visa provider to make the visa process seamless and avoid any delays.

You can obtain your visa online through Cuba Travel Services for $85 plus applicable shipping costs. The visa will be shipped via FedEx through Standard Shipping (5-7 business days) or Overnight Shipping:

Are there any other ways to get a visa?

Yes, you should be able to get a visa prior to boarding your flight at the airport listed below. As this is completely new for the airlines and still in development, we recommend against this option. However, if you choose to obtain your visa at the airport, you will be responsible for ensuring you obtain it in an adequate amount of time before boarding your flight. We also recommend calling the airline to ensure that the visa process is in place at the airport you will be flying through.

Tourist Card costs and where they are obtained (subject to change with airline policy):

American Airlines: $50 at the gateways: MIA and CLT.

Delta Airlines: $50 at the gateways: JFK, ATL and MIA.

United Airlines: $50 at the gateways: IAH and EWR.

Jet Blue Airlines: $50 at the gateways: JFK, FLL, MCO

Copa Airlines: $20 at the gateway: PTY.


Any international travel requires the use of a passport. If you do not have a passport it is important to apply for one as soon as possible. It often takes four to six weeks to process the paperwork for a passport (and even longer during the peak travel season of March to August).

For questions about obtaining or renewing your passport (American citizens) you can visit

* If you have a passport, please note - it is highly recommended that your passport be valid for up to 6 months after your scheduled departure date

* It is also important that you have at least one completely blank page (with no stamps or visas) in your passport. This is a requirement for entry into many countries. If your passport is nearly full it might be a good idea to apply for additional pages.

* If you are a U.S. citizen, we recommend working with G3 Visas and Passports to make the process smooth and easy.

Make several photocopies of your passport. Leave a copy at home with your family and carry a copy with you at all times when you are overseas for identification purposes, money changing, etc. If you should lose your passport, having a copy will speed up the process of replacing it.