Kenya has a pleasant, tropical climate due to its location. During the dry season in June to October, the average high is 75°F with a low of 68°F.Then from November to May during the wet season, the average high 82°F then cools down into the high 70°F.
Suggested Packing List:
- Passport (MUST be valid 6 months after trip)
- Personal medication. Note: It is best to be packed in your carry-on luggage, not in your checked luggage. Also, this medication should be in its original container. If this is not feasible, a copy of the prescription should be carried along with the medication.
- Mosquito repellent (recommended with DEET)
- One refillable water bottle
- Small backpack or day bag for daily excursions
- Short-sleeved shirts (we recommend thin, breathable shirts as it is can be hot and humid during the afternoons)
- A warm sweatshirt / fleece / light jacket (it can get cool at night)
- Rain jacket (lightweight, water resistant for sudden, unexpected tropical showers especially during the rainy season)
- Gym / sportswear (for hiking / outdoor activities)
- Undergarments, socks
- Bathing suits (for pools)
- Several light pairs of long pants (we recommend wearing light pants especially in the evenings and early morning to prevent mosquito bites)
- One pair of tennis shoes / closed toe sandals (these are for hiking and may get dirty)
**Mornings and evenings can be cooler.
***There is laundry available at the lodges at Sweetwaters and Encounter Mara but we recommend bringing enough lightweight clothes to last you through the trip. Clothes will be hand-washed*
- Glasses/contacts/contact solution
- Personal toiletries (shampoo, deodorant etc.)
- Sunscreen heay
- Bug spray (with DEET)
- Light day bag or pack
- Binoculars (highly recommended for wildlife viewing)
- Ear plugs
- Portable charger (phone or camera)
- Personal snacks
- Books and/or magazines
- Watch or small alarm
*Electrical outlets in Kenya are 240 volts and 50 Hz. Therefore, an adapter is needed if you coming from the U.S. We recommend purchasing a universal adaptor.