Australia’s Gold Coast is blessed with year-round sunshine and warm weather. As Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere, the seasons are the opposite as the U.S. Summers on the Gold Coast (our winter) tend to be hot while the winters (our summer) are mild.
Suggested Packing List:
Must - Haves:
- One Refillable water bottle
- Passport. Must be valid for up to 6 months after your scheduled departure date from Australia.
- Short-sleeved shirts
- Rain coat (light weight, water resistant)
- A warm sweatshirt / fleece (it can get cool at night especially during Australian winter)
- Gym / sportswear (for nature walks / service)
- Undergarments & socks
- Bathing suits (we recommend at least two so one is always dry)
- Hiking or yoga pants
- Hat & handkerchief / bandana
- One pair of flip flops / closed-toed shoes that can get wet
- One pair of comfortable tennis shoes (these are for hiking/day-to-day activities)
Bath / Personal:
- Personal medication
- Prescription sea sickness pills or patch, if applicable
- Dramamine (if driving on windy/rough roads make you nauseous)
- Glasses / contacts / contact solution
- Personal toiletries
- Sunscreen (very important! The sun is strong in Australia!)
- Bug spray
- Books and/or magazines
- Watch or small alarm clock
- Light day bag or pack (small backpack would be ideal)
- Sunglasses, particularly if you’re sensitive to sunlight
- Personal snacks that you may need or crave (such as granola bars or power bars).
- Bring cash for the days spent on North Stradbroke Island. ATMs are not as common in the area.
- Beach towel
Discover Corps Provides:
- Linens / blankets
- Hand soap
*Laundry service is limited during the trip. We advise that you should bring enough lightweight clothes to avoid having to do laundry during the trip.
*You will need a power adapter in Australia. Plugs have two flat metal pins shaped live a "V" and some may contain a third flat pin in the center. Voltage is 230V.