Southern Thailand has a tropical monsoon climate and is warm all year long. There is a dry season (Dec-April) and a wet season (May-November) where rain can be quite frequent. Try to pack as many lightweight clothes as possible. In general, pack for a tropical climate. You may also want to bring a rain jacket of some type for the tropical showers during the rainy season.
Suggested Packing List:
- Warm sweatshirt / fleece (during cooler months - June-Aug)
- Rain Gear - Waterproof Windbreaker or Rain Coat (especially during rainy season noted above)
- Short-sleeved shirts
- Gym / sportswear (for outdoor activities)
- Under garments, socks
- Bathing suits
- Shorts (no shorter than mid-thigh given local customs)
- One pair of flip flops / sandals / water shoes
- One pair of closed toed comfortable walking shoes
Bath / Personal:
- Personal medication
- Anti-diarrheal medication
- Glasses / contacts / contact solution, if applicable
- Personal toiletries (If you have certain items that you absolutely need, bring enough to last until you return home. Don't forget to bring gender specific hygienic products). Pack of kleenex for public restroom stops.
- Natural Sunscreen
- Natural Insect repellent (Note: As this is a tropical country, mosquitos are present throughout the year, especially during the rainy season)
- One refillable water bottle
- Books and/or magazines
- Watch or small alarm clock
- Light day bag or pack (small backpack would be ideal)
- Personal snacks that you may need or crave (such as granola bars or power bars). We provide all stated meals; however, some have particular dietary/health needs.
- Water proof Disposable camera, film camera or digital camera - and film or memory card(s) for digital camera
- Linens / blankets
For working with elephants:
Each Day, please bring:
- Bring both flip-flops, water shoes and walking shoes with grip
- Wear clothes that you don't mind getting wet and dirty while working with the elephants. ie. shorts / T-shirt / swimsuit / hat
- Bring a day bag with a change of clothes for a shower at the end of the day
- Towel (provided by the hotel)
- Sun block
- Long Socks (for the boots provided at the elephant camp)
The sanctuary will provide:
- Shower, shampoo, soap, bag for dirty clothing & bug spray
*Laundry service is available for an additional charge. We advise that you bring enough lightweight clothes to avoid having to do laundry more than once.
*Voltage in Thailand is 220 volts. Most tablets, computers, and cameras can support this, however, most hair dryers cannot. Please bring a converter if you will be using high-voltage items. Most of the outlets will be the 2-prong, with occasional 3-prong outlets.