South Africa: Wildlife Conservation Experience‎ > ‎

Travel Documents

There are no visa requirements for travelers from the USA, UK or Canada going to South Africa for 90 days or less.

Any international travel requires the use of a passport. If you do not have a passport it is important to apply for one as soon as possible. It often takes four to six weeks to process the paperwork for a passport (and even longer during the peak travel season of March to August).

For questions about obtaining or renewing your passport (American citizens) you can visit

* If you have a passport, please note - it is highly recommended that your passport be valid for up to 6 months after your scheduled departure date

* It is also required that you have at least two consecutive completely blank pages (with no stamps or visas) in your passport. This is a requirement for entry into South Africa. If your passport is nearly full, you may need to have pages added or apply for a new passport.

* If you are a U.S. citizen, we recommend working with G3 Visas and Passports to make the process smooth and easy.

Make several photocopies of your passport. Leave a copy at home with your family and carry a copy with you at all times when you are overseas for identification purposes, money changing, etc. If you should lose your passport, having a copy will speed up the process of replacing it.

IMPORTANT: ‎Travel Documents for Families Traveling with Minors

The Government of South Africa recently implemented rules governing travel with children to the country to prevent human trafficking. If you are entering South Africa with a minor, you must comply with the following rules or else you may be denied entrance at the border. Please read here for more information regarding the immigration policies.

Here is a link to a useful, professionally licensed and certified online notary to utilize at your convenience- 365 days a year. NotaryCam.

1. Where parents are traveling with a child:

(i) Parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate of the child reflecting the parents of the child.

(ii) Adopted children to provide proof of adoption by means of an adoption certificate

All documents must be original or copies certified as a true copy of the original by a commissioner of oaths or the equivalent commissioning authority, should commissioners of oath not be a practice in the country concerned;

2. Where one parent is traveling with a child:

(i) The parent must produce an unabridged birth certificate of the child reflecting the parents of the child

(ii) Consent in the form of an affidavit (not older than 3 months from the date of travel) from the other parent registered as a parent on the birth certificate of the child authorizing him or her to enter into or depart from the Republic with the child he or she is travelling with (see attached form)

(iii) Where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate;

(iv) Legally separated parents should also provide a court order when the other parent does not give consent.

(v) Driver License copy of the non-present parent

3. Where a person is travelling with a child who is not his or her biological child, he or she must produce:

(i) A copy of the unabridged birth certificate of the child;

(ii) An affidavit from the parents or legal guardian of the child confirming that he or she has permission to travel with the child (See Attached Form)

(iii) Copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child; and

(iv) The contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child

(v) Driver License copy of both parents

4. Any unaccompanied minor shall produce to the immigration officer:

(i) Proof of consent from one of or both his or her parents or legal guardian, as the case may be, in the form of a letter or affidavit for the child to travel into or depart from the Republic: Provided that in the case where one parent provides proof of consent, that parent must also provide a copy of a court order issued to him or her in terms of which he or she has been granted full parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the child;

(ii) A letter from the person who is to receive the child in the Republic, containing his or her residential address and contact details in the Republic where the child will be residing;

(iii) A copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in the Republic; and

(iv) The contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.

Click and download the PDF file below for more information and to get started: