Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Are  flights  included  in  the  cost  of  my  trip?

International  flights  to  and  from  the  destination  are  not  included  in  the  program  fee.  However,  the  flight  to from Gold Coast to Cairns  is included . Discover  Corps  has  a  partnership  with  several agencies  who  can  assist  in  organizing  airfare  if  needed. For  more  information  click  here.  

Q:  Can  I  travel  solo?  Are  there  additional  fees?

We  welcome  solo  travelers  on  all  trips,  and  there  is  no  additional  fee  unless  a  single  room  upgrade  is  requested. We  also  offer  certain  dates  that  say  STS  (Solo  Traveler  Savings),  which  offer  a  single  room  upgrade  for  no additional  cost.  Locate  these  available  dates  on  each  individual  trip  page  or  contact  us  for  more  information.

Q:  What  does  ‘double  occupancy’  mean?  

Does  that  mean  the  trip  prices  covers  two  people? Double  Occupancy  refers  to  the  accommodations  (double  room). The  program  fee  you  see  on  each  trip  page  is  per  person.

Q:  Are  there  age  restrictions  on  your  trips?

The  minimum  age  requirement  for  the  Australia:  Beachside  Wildlife  Adventure  is  5  years  old.  

Q:  I  have  a  disability  or  someone  in  my  family  has  a  disability  –  will  that  be  an  issue?

Generally  no,  but  it  depends  on  the  severity  of  the  issue.  Many  countries  outside  of  the  U.S.  do  not  adhere  to the  same  wheel  accessibility  as  the  U.S.,  so  we  recommend  contacting  Discover  Corps  directly  to  discuss  and determine  which  trip  would  work  best.

Q:  I  have  special  dietary  requirements  –  will  that  be  an  issue?

In  Australia,  we  are  able  to  accommodate  most  dietary  restrictions  such  as  vegan,  vegetarian  and  gluten  free.  We do  our  best  to  accommodate  all  diets,  but  we  do  recommend  you  still  inquire  with  a  Discover  Corps  Travel Specialist  about  specific  needs.

Q:  Is  the  water  safe  to  drink  in  the  country  I’m  visiting?

Yes,  in  Australia  the  water  from  the  tap  is  safe  to  drink.  

Q:  Do  I  need  travel  insurance?  What  should  it  cover?

Travel  Insurance  is  not  required  but  we  highly  recommend  that  a  plan  is  purchased  to  protect  any  delays  or cancellations  that  could  incur.  For  more  information  click  here.  

Q:  Can  you  help  with  Visas?

 Australia does not authorize assistance in the visa process.  For  more  information  click  here.  

Q:  Are  my  belongings  safe  while  I’m  on  my  trip?  Are  there  safes  for  storing  valuables?

Yes.  We  trust  that  your  belongings  are  protected  while  under  our  staff’s  watch.  The  managers    and  staff  at  the accommodations  pride  themselves  in  having  a  comfortable  and  secure  property  where  their  guest  feel  safe  and  at home.  

Q:  Is  tipping  commonplace  in  the  places  we’re  visiting?

On  most  trips,  tips  are  provided  for  restaurants,  hotels,  and  baggage.  However,  on  all  trips,  tips  are  suggested  for the  guide  and  the  driver.  For  guides,  it  is  recommended  to  tip  between  $6-10  Australian  dollars  per  adult traveler per  day  whereas  drivers  should  be  given  about  $3-4  Australian  dollars  per  adult  traveler  per  day.  

Q:  Are  Discover  Corps  trips  suitable  for  LGBTQ  travelers?

Yes,  we  are  confident  that  LGBTQ  travelers  would  be  more  than  welcome  on  our  trips  and  in  Australia.

Q:  I’m  concerned  about  the  political  stability  and/or  safety  of  the  country  we’re  visiting.  Is  it  safe?

Discover  Corps  holds  the  safety  of  our  travelers  and  staff  as  our  #1  priority.  We  provide  safe  and  secure lodging, healthy,  hygienic  meals  and  bottled  water,  safe  and  comfortable  transportation,  and  expert  local  knowledge  in order  to  facilitate  safe  travel  programs.  Discover  Corps  also  does  not  take  travelers  to  destinations  that  are deemed  unsafe.  We  are  constantly  keeping  up  with  local  news  in  the  countries  we  visit  and  can  help  answer any concerns  that  may  arise  before  your  departure  or  during  your  trip.

Q:  What  is  the  best  way  to  carry  money?

It’s  best  to  divide  money  into  different  places  and  keep  small  bills  handy.  In  some  destinations,  accommodations offer  safety  boxes.  If  you  need  money  once  in-country  there  will  be  ATMs  to  take  out  money  throughout  the trip. 

Q:  Is  refrigeration  available  for  medicines?

Yes,  most  of  the  hotels  in  Australia  that    travelers  stay  in  do  offer  refrigerators.  Most  guest  houses/homestays have  a  refrigerator  in  the  kitchen.  Please  inquire  with  us  so  that  we  can  confirm  whether  or  not  a  refrigerator will  be  available.

Q:  What  if  I  end  up  ill  or  get  injured  on  the  trip  and  am  unable  to  continue?  What  happens  then?

In  the  case  of  injury  or  illness,  first  and  foremost,  we  would  seek  proper  medical  attention.  In  each  of  the locations  we  operate,  we  have  designated  medical  clinics  and  hospitals  that  we  take  travelers  to  in  such  cases. Discover  Corps  also  includes  a  comprehensive  medical  insurance  policy  for  each  traveler  who  goes  abroad  with us. Please  see  the  medical  insurance  section.  If  you are unable  to  join  Discover  Corps  prior  to  the  trip,  travel  insurance  will  cover  the  costs  depending  on  the  severity  of and  reason  for  the  situation.  You  can  inquire  ArchRoam Right for  exact  policies  and  the  guidelines.

Q:  What  type  of  luggage  do  you  recommend  I  take?

Overall,  the  rule  of  thumb  across  all  of  our  trips  is  to  pack  as  lightly  as  possible.  This  will  simply  reduce  the amount  of  luggage  you  are  carrying  around  throughout  the  trip  and  make  things  easier.  Typically,  rolling  luggage works  best,  but  keep  in  mind  that  uneven  sidewalks  and  cobblestones  in  many  destinations  may  make  this  more difficult.

Q:  What  clothes  and  footwear  should  I  pack?

Each  destination  varies  in  climate,  so  it  is  recommended  to  look  over  the  packing  list  that  is  provided  under each destination.  Please  reference  the  packing  list  here  on  the  Travel  Portal  or  the  “What  to  Pack”  section  in  the Australia.

Q:  What  essential  documents  do  I  need  to  take?

Any  international  travel  requires  a  valid  passport.  Discover  Corps  recommends  you  take  2  photo  copies  of  your passport  and  leave  one  at  home  and  take  the  other  with  you. For Australia, you also need a visa. Please check all information here.

Q:  Can  I  opt  out  of  certain  activities?

Travelers  can  opt  out  on  certain  activities,  but  keep  in  mind  that  each  program  is  a  set  price  and  includes  most activities.

Q:  Will  my  mobile  phone  work?  Will  I  have  access  to  the  Internet?

It’s  not  guaranteed  that  your  phone  will  work,  we  recommend  reaching  out  to  your  cell  phone  provider  to  see the  available  international  plans.  Note  that  wifi  at  the  Surfers  Horizon  offers  Freedom  Internet  WIFI  ‘on  demand’ which  varies  in  rates.  

Q:  Do  I  need  to  get  vaccines  before  I  travel?  

According  to  the  Center  of  Disease  Control  and  Prevention,  there  are  no  vaccinations  required  in  order  to  travel to  Australia.  However,  we  also  recommend  consulting  with  your  local  travel  clinic  for  recommended  inoculations for  all  international  travels.

Q:  How Far in Advance do I need to Reserve my trip?

The farther in advance you book, the better selection of dates you’ll have. On most trips, you’ll want to book 3 to 6 months out. For holiday trips, you’ll want to reserve 6 to 8 months out. Rest assured, though, we’re also masters at accommodating last-minute reservations!